Congratulations to all nurses! You’ve chosen one of the most rewarding and important careers. The downside? You’re going to do an intense hospital workout: darting between patients and standing in the same position for long periods.
Just like you need the perfect hiking boots for your weekend adventures or those chic heels for a night out, you need some workers’ shoes for your long shifts. In this article, we’ll delve into the world of nursing shoes so that you can find the most comfortable fit for your long days at work.
To be happy in life, you have to know yourself, right? The same logic applies to footwear. To get the best shoes for standing all day, you have to know your feet and the kind of support they need.
Below, we’ll highlight the best nursing shoes for flat feet, so if this is your foot shape and you’re looking to learn how to be more comfortable at work, read on.
Why do you need special shoes as a nurse?
As a healthcare professional, you’re on your feet all day, pulling long shifts. This can get uncomfortable and also lead to swelling in the ankles and feet. These issues can, in turn, lead to varicose veins, back pain and general discomfort.
An important part of preventing leg pain and swelling is getting the right shoes for all those long stretches where you’ll be standing on your feet.
What makes a good nursing shoe?
Good nursing shoes all have something that sets them apart, but there are a few common denominators, too:
- Great support
- Cushioned insoles
- Good traction
What’s the best kind of shoe for nurses with flat feet?
We’ve taken the work out of reading reviews for you and narrowed nursing shoe options down to this list of 10:
- Dansko Women’s Professional Clog. This shoe comes in a versatile range of color options, so there is something for every style and dress code. They are ample, comfortable, lightweight and—not to mention—made from genuine leather. These shoes are considered one of the best walking clogs in the industry, and won’t disappoint.
- Alegria Women’s Essence Sneaker. This shoe is a favorite for flat feet. It’s specifically designed for people with low arches. These sneakers look good and, what’s more, they’re breathable. You know how important breathability is on a long shift. It helps reduce irritation and prevent bad odors. Finally, this shoe includes an optional memory foam lining for added comfort.
- YHOON Women’s Walking Shoes. The shock absorption on these platform walking shoes will have your feet feel like they’re on Cloud 9, even if you’ve been on them for 12 hours. Better yet, they breathe well, too. As if that weren’t enough, they’re slip-ons, so you can put them on quickly as you’re rushing to your shift.
- Asics Women’s Gel Kayano. If your dress code permits it, why not opt for a fashionable sneaker that will take you from the workplace to run in the park after your shift? This line from Asics is great for individuals with low arches or flat feet, and the model comes in various colors and funky designs. A shoe made for athletes, these sneakers are resistant and long-wearing, too. Did we mention they’re super comfy?
- Nurse Mates’ Women’s Dove. You can’t go wrong with a shoe that is literally made for nurses. These slip-ons are perfect for offices or hospitals with a strict dress code as they’re available in basic white or black. They aren’t flashy, but they get the job done while you get your job done.
- Skechers Comfort Flex Pro Health Care Professional Shoes. Here’s another option made with you in mind. These comfortable shoes will support you on a long shift with a relaxed fit that’s comfortable and breathable. What more could you want? A cushioned inner lining? They have that, too. Air-cooled memory foam? Yes, they thought of that, as well.
- Hawkwell Women’s Nursing Shoes. If you’re looking for a vegan option, this one’s for you. With a memory foam insole and neutral arch support, these cruelty-free shoes are perfect for any nurse who avoids leather but needs a quality shoe option that’s durable and comfortable.
- Nurse Mates Macie. Here’s another pick designed for someone like you. These shoes hit all of the right design notes and feature great traction, an excellent fit, and cloud-like support. They also are tight at the ankles to keep your joints from rolling.
- Birkenstock Professional Tokio Super Grip Work Shoe. This unisex work shoe grips, comforts and gives you your space. It’s ideal for any healthcare professional with flat feet who wants a solid no-frills option that can go with any work look and meet the dress code restrictions of any environment.
- Crocs Unisex Bistro Clog. Here’s another unisex option that breathes well and is beyond easy to clean due to its unique design. These plastic clogs will get you through a ton of shifts, and you can decide whether to use the strap for extra support and style. They also come in a range of muted colors, which means that even if you have a dress code at work, you’re still in luck.
While your feet need to be comfortable at work, you also want to feel great all over. Remember, we’ve got you covered with luxe scrubs that we hope will make your day at work just a little bit easier (and certainly more stylish!).